Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It's Not Fair

Isaiah 52:13-53:12


Familiar verses and the cornerstone of what Christians believe.  As Isaiah prophecies Jesus' death proclaiming, "He was pierced for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." 

"To be broken to pieces, bruised, crushed...the most severe inward and outward sufferings. The meaning is, that he was under such a weight of sorrows on account of our sins, that he was, as it were, crushed to the earth." bible.cc/isaiah/35-5.htm

The sum of all our sins, from every one of us, heaped on Jesus in his mortal state at once.  Can you imagine? Verse 12 goes on to say, "he will divide the spoils with the strong."  The King shares his spoils of victory with us - those whose sins crushed Him.

My study challenges me to live with the thought that "Jesus died without a thought for his own welfare...Try living that selflessly a few minutes at a time."  I'm not sure I do much of anything selflessly.  I mean, think about it - almost everything we do benefits us in some way, right?  And I don't know about you, but when I'm not treated fairly, somebody is going to hear about it.

Fairness.

That's hilarious when juxtapose the notion with Christ's death.  What if for a small moment today we stop being obsessed with fairness?  What would that look like for you?  Our culture is obsessed with fairness.

But, it's not fair that He died for my sins when He didn't deserve it.

It's just not fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment