Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wisdom

Proverbs 2:1-3:24


Wisdom is today's central theme.  The assignment is to consider what it would be like to pursue wisdom with all your might.  First, let's define it.  My study Bible says "the basic idea behind wisdom is skill...  The book of Proverbs uses the word wisdom to speak of the skill of living in a way that honors God..."  Proverbs 2 tells us to turn our ears to wisdom; to apply our hearts to understanding; to call out for insight; to cry aloud for understanding.  The Scripture goes on to say that we should "search for it as for hidden treasure."  The common link is action - the verbs in this Scripture aren't passive.

turn, apply, call out, cry aloud, search

In my mind, I assumed wisdom was one of those things that just happened to you when you got old.  Wisdom was a nice way of describing a person who had been through a lot and had good advice to give you.  Words of wisdom were given by your grandpa.  The idea to pursue it means that it's something to be achieved.  How exciting!

How can one obtain wisdom?

After Solomon asks God for wisdom and knowledge, God's response in 2 Chronicles 1:11-  is, "Since this is your heart's desire and you have not asked for wealth, riches or honor, nor asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you."

Ok - so, one would deduce that you need to ask for wisdom.  That makes sense, after all, considering God's in charge of everything.  It's interesting to note that God pointed out that Solomon didn't ask to be rich or honored or to live a long life.  His heart's desire was truly for wisdom.  So, not only should we ask for wisdom, but we should also be checking our heart's desire.  Often times, I notice that I might pray and even think Biblically, but my heart is bent on rebellion.  I constantly have to check my true desires and dig to make sure I'm wanting God's approval above all else.  I will be very honest and confess that my heart really loves other people's approval - my husband, my parents, other professionals, my friends... Pretty much everyone else.  Galations 1:10 says, "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?  Or am I trying to please men?  If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."  Right now I am doing the Beth Moore study, Living Beyond Yourself.  This week I learned that the greek word for please is aresko and it means to fit, to gratify, to accommodate oneself to, or to be acceptable.  I think it would be beneficial to me to check myself by asking if I'm trying to fit in or gratify someone else... Am I trying to be accepted or please God?  Am I accommodating to someone else?  Scripture doesn't mince any words here. When I am trying to fit in and seek others' approval - I AM NOT A SERVANT OF CHRIST.  ouch.

Matthew 7:24 says, "everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."  So, wisdom would also include hearing God's word and putting it into practice.  I want my house, my life to be built the rock of God's word.

Lord, give me wisdom!  I confess that my heart desires things of this world all the time.  Change me!  Make me a servant for you.  I understand that means I will stand out - I will look different.  Help me to seek your approval instead of everyone else's because I don't even know where to start.

Ya'll know what happens when you ask God for these things, right?  He will give me the opportunity to trust Him on this...  I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment