Monday, March 18, 2013

Hungry

Proverbs 30:1-9


What a weekend it has been... I spent the better half of these last few days relishing in God's provision and experiencing a great amount of joy in Him!  Life, however, is never without its tests.  Yesterday was a rough one, to say the least.  It appears to me that God continues to give me the opportunity to trust in and rely fully on Him - and my thick skull has a difficult time doing so.

Proverbs 30:8-9 says "Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.  Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."  My study explains that these verses acknowledge the relationship between our physical and spiritual selves: When full of food, we may feel a false sense of security and disregard our need for God.  When hungry, we may feel our need yet doubt that God will meet it.  There it is - that last line.  That resonates with me.  Hungry.  To me, the idea of hunger equates to constant need.  I'm hungry for freedom from anxiety around the same recurring issue; I'm hungry to feel a lasting sense of joy and peace; I'm hungry to stop worrying all the time; I'm hungry to trust God in the midst of my problems.  I'm hungry for a lot of things - but inevitably, I try to fill that grumbling, rumbling sound in my soul with answers that make sense to me instead of relying on Him.   The question is - can I trust Him to provide?  Or is it my impulse to provide for myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment