Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Shut Your Mouth, Child!

Proverbs 10


Let me start today be telling you that I am going to be intentionally vague on this particular topic.  I've been wrestling with the call to be transparent with this blog, but also the duty to be respectful of those in my life with whom I may have disputes.  So, in an effort to protect the other party, I am forced to use discretion in the sharing of details. Honestly, it's really a good thing - discretion.  It means I have to focus on myself... Which is where I should be, anyway.

There's been an ongoing feud in my life over the past few months.  It has surely taken its toll on everyone involved, but I assume God has more in store, as the dissension resurfaced yesterday.  To say that I reacted is an understatement.  




I really feel like I feel more than the average person... Is that a woman thing?  Or me?  Anyway, I felt my feelings yesterday in a big way.  I'm completely exhausted over dealing with this recurring situation.  So, in my prayer time this morning, I brought it to God (again).  Today He was very clear with me.  Among other things, I felt Him saying, "I know you want to withdraw, but I am giving you the opportunity to show MY love.  This isn't about you, Meagan.  Keep your mouth, shut!" Then I started today's study on self-examination.  I said to myself, "you have got to be kidding me."  God's Word never fails to be relevant, that's for sure.  As I read through Proverbs 10, the words of Solomon that most stuck out to me were in verse 19.  "When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise."  Following that, I read the instructions of my study, which were to read today's passage aloud in front of the mirror, and then to stand there, motionless.  (sounded weird to me, too) Nonetheless, I complied.  Again, my view continued to dart back to my mouth.  No matter where else I tried to focus my gaze, my eyes kept looking back at my lips.  hmmmmm

"Ok, ok - I HEAR YOU GOD!"

Today, Paul's voice in Romans 7:21-24 echoes in my head. "... when I want to do good, evil is right there with me.  For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.  What a wretched man I am!..."

I would say that God is pretty darn active in my life - praise be to Him!  But make no mistake, I dropped His commands so fast yesterday, it made my head spin.   How quick I am to resort back to being a prisoner in my own body.  I am grateful for God's encouragement in Romans 8:18 that "our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us," and in verse 28, "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purposes."

I have to claim God's sovereignty over this situation.  He is in control and is working GOOD out of it!  I'm called to keep my chatty mouth shut so that He can be glorified.  Amen!  Would you be praying for me to be wise in this area?  It seems like an impossible feat - for me to be quiet.

1 comment:

  1. As revelant today as it was 2000 years ago. The struggle to obey and honor Him as He requests of us is and will always be a challenge. That being said, I know we don't have to be "slaves" to our sin. We can, only with His help, turn from sin back to his everlasting arms. This struggle reminds me of, what I am sure you are already familiar with, the book of James. Don't feel alone in this, as a believer, He will refine us in ways that don't seem like progress to our "earthly" eyes, but He is there. What He starts, He will finish. (Phil 1:6)

    "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

    Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do." James 1:19-25


    And


    "We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

    When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

    All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

    With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." James 3:2-12

    ReplyDelete