Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Redefinition of Beautiful

Song of Songs 1:5-2:2


The age old problem with self-esteem.

The conversation here between the beloved and the lover begins with the woman telling the man how embarrassed of her skin tone she is.   It's both sad and comforting to me to know that women have been worried about their looks for all ages.   At least it's not just me... But then again, what a pitiful thing for us all to struggle with.

And God has an opinion about us.

Song of Solomon 4:7  You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you.

Psalm 139:13-14  For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

1 Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.  Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

Genesis 1:27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

We could go on all day...

I suppose finding your image, value, and self-worth in Christ Jesus is the answer to our society's dilemma of negative self image.  Even as I type this, though, it's so hard for me to accept.  For so long I have struggled with who I am, especially with the way I look.  I learned that when I look cute, if I wear the right clothes or weigh the right amount, I feel better.  I feel better because I better fit society's definition of what I should be.

In 2010 I was the thinnest, tannest, blondest I had ever been...  With the wedding and honeymoon arriving, I was obsessed with being thin.  To the point where I was essentially living off of coffee.  It's hard for me to look at the pictures from my honeymoon because I long to look like that again.  But when I remember how I felt, I know it's not worth it.  I was sick as a dog because my body was not used to eating... I was miserable!


I'm happier and more full of joy now than I've ever been in my whole life!  Body image is a constant struggle for me, though.  For now, all I know to do is to keep bathing my mind in His Word!!!! I have to find the truth of who I am in Him.  It's an ongoing battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment