Saturday, March 30, 2013

Trial by Fire

Isaiah 6


Isaiah experiences an incredible encounter with the Lord in this chapter.  God fills the temple where he is and the room trembles with His mightiness.  Isaiah, though a righteous man, is convicted of his filthiness in comparison to God's glory.  One of the angels uses tongs to retrieve a burning coal and touches it to Isaiah's lips.  God then asks "Whom shall I send?  And who will go for us?"  Isaiah volunteers enthusiastically.

I am moved by Spurgeon's response to this heavenly interaction.  "Jehovah, who is a consuming fire, can only fitly be served by those who are on fire, whether they be angels or men."  The thought that God wants to purify us and use us completely humbles me.  My study today challenges me to invite God to burn into the sensitive areas of my life so that I can serve Him more effectively.  I know that my mouth is a pitfall for me a lot of the time.  James 3:6 says, "The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."  This is true for me.  I have a big mouth.  I speak before I think and it's a major area of my life that needs to be cleansed.  Oh, to have that burning coal on my own lips... Wouldn't it be worth it, though; to be purified with the reward of being God's servant?

I also think it's interesting that God asks for volunteers to go do his work.  He could so easily just make Isaiah do whatever He wanted.  But I think it speaks to the heart of who God is that He wants us to desire to do His work; to be a willing servant.  



Father God, I'm afraid to ask to be purified, but I want to be used by you.  I want to be your servant!  Will you tame my tongue?  Will you change me?  And then send me!  Like Isaiah, here I am!  Use me!




No comments:

Post a Comment